Your
Radio Friend,
Bat Guano.


You can now listen! To Bat Guano's SwaG! every Wednesday, 9 p.m. Eastern, or the rest of WIDR's programing at any time, on the WORLD WIDE WEBS once again! Go to WIDR and follow the instructions.



5/22/2005

"Radio Freaks Forever!!"

After finding out about DJ Jim Hawthorne here I listened to a 1947 show (the "airchex" he mentions below) of his and was inspired to write an email to him, saying something in the area of I thought I was an innovative freak on the radio, but he invented the form.

He wrote back:

THANX!!! 4 your joyous email!!!!

My nutshow was on over a half-century ago---> amazing how those airchex keep bobbing up to haunt me! I loved every minuscule moment of that era and I am overjoyed that somebody has the guts to go that direction in today's reactionary climate in DC. In "those daze," to say "damn" or "hell" was forbidden! during my early radio career! I knew guys who were canned for uttering those "obscenities." My "couched" language was never questioned--people just marvelled (and laffed) at my antics--remember we had just come out of WW2 and were shedding the discipline and restraints of that conflict's impact and regimentation that was imposed. Hey, nothing would please me more than hearing your "freeform" radio show you do on WIDR, AND, I'd luv to hear one of my old shows as you did---clue me in on the opus operandi, where to tune, please.

Radio freaks forever!! Congrats on your fortitude!!
Thanks BG for being a nut also!
Never give up!! Happy Hogan Day! Jim

This is a guy who, at the end of World War II, decided to be a nut on the radio. A voice still around calling upon us to play records at crazy speeds and to make fun of advertisements. It's like I found my Yoda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home